Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Leadership Value of the Day: Will

-->
Leadership Value of the Day: Will


So many people say that they want this and they want that. They want to be the best at their craft, or perform at the highest level in the office. Here is a secret; no one says they want to be second best. No one wakes up in the morning and says I’m just going to do enough to get by, or today they win and I am not going to try so hard. We all want to be, or do, or achieve more than everyone else. The catch is that everyone is not willing to do what it takes. Everyone is not willing to make the sacrifices that it will take to be the absolute best. Most people when they feel a little adversity, a little resistance, they stop. When most people feel the pressure pushing pack against them, keeping them from making any further progress they stop. That moment is the moment of their defeat. My mother and father may have disagreed on a lot of things, but the one thing that they agreed on was that if you want to be successful you have to want it. You have to make the effort to do something. It’s not just showing up, it’s showing up everyday even when you think you don’t have anything left to give. It is willing your body and mind over the have not’s and neigh sayers. I have this memory of watching Rocky IV with my father in the movie theater. It is the only movie I can remember us seeing together, it’s still one of my favorites to this day. That movie is all about will. Having the will to push beyond what anyone says you can, or can’t do. Not to mention a sweet training montage. (LOL) In life you have to decide, are you going to give in at the resistance, or pressure or are you going to will yourself to work harder? Are you going to live in the dirt or are you willing to die for the dream? I’m dying for the dream. I am giving it all I have until I can’t breath, and then I’m coming back for more. If you want to achieve things that have never been done before you have to be willing to lay it all on the line, with one knee in the dirt and find the will to stand, when everyone else thinks you’re finished. The tools you have acquired are only good if you have the will to actually put them to work. Experiences, education, morals, and strategies, only work if you have the will to execute them, and keep executing them even once you succeed.

Okay, so here is a little bit of the movie I mentioned if you have time and need some inspiration to help activate your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment